Care of Piston Valves
Oiling piston valves
The following procedures should be completed before and after playing the instrument:
• Remove the upper screw cap (13) of the valve casing (14) and carefully pull the valve (12) out. Take care not to turn the valve (12) while removing.
• Evenly distribute 2-3 drops of Miraphone piston valve oil onto the valve.
• Re-insert the valve and screw the valve cap (13) back on.
• Be sure to line the valve (12) up straight before inserting it into the outer casing (14).
• Work the valves up and down rapidly to evenly distribute the oil over the surface.
• Oil the valves again after playing. This protects the valve from oxydation and prolongs the life of the instrument.
Monthly cleaning of piston valves and valve casings (14)
• Remove debris on the valves with a non-abrasive cloth (D).
• Carefully wrap the cleaning rod (C) with the cleaning cloth (D) making sure that no metal is exposed.
• Remove any dirt from inside the inner valve casing (14).
Valves and casings (14) are important components of the instrument; take care that you go slow in order to prevent damage to them.